Surviving a Minor Hell

There are many things I have underestimated in life: the life source coffee, the homework savior planner and mono.

For those of you are new to my blog, I recently posted about my excitement for sorority work week and recruitment. These weeks are grueling, waking up early to scream chants and smile like you’ve never been so happy to see strangers, all the while wearing layers of makeup and carefully selected outfits for each day. And for the first couple of days, I was loving it.

However, a little devil I had only heard of once (no, seriously) crashed and burned all of my recruitment dreams.


(mänōˌn(y)o͞oklēˈōsəs) – According to the Devon definition, mononucleosis is DEATH. For eight days, two of them during actual recruitment, I couldn’t sleep yet it was all I wanted to do. My body shook like it was frozen in the humid 98º weather. I couldn’t keep warm, but my body still sweated like it was in a sauna.  My tonsils developed white sores that eventually began caving in on themselves, and every. single. swallow caused me to cringe in pain. What food I could swallow eventually ended up spewing out of my mouth into a trash can. Needless to say, I was miserable.

However, I refused to Go to the Doctor.

Against the wishes of my mother and many friends, I couldn’t do it. I had been waiting to start recruitment for months. On the first day of recruitment, I was so excited to see these girls, one of them who was going to be my little! Even while my body was exhausted and I sometimes couldn’t stand without swaying, I pushed through everything just so I could have 45 second conversations with every girl possible.

Me during rush

However, my body couldn’t take it. After two days of faux screaming and half-hearted smiling, I broke down and did my first Adult-y thing.

I made my own doctor’s appointment.

It was necessary, and I immediately withdrew from Rush, much to my intense heartbreak. I wanted to cry, but it was too painful, another indication of how sick I was.

The appointment stated the obvious. Mono, need to rest, take lots of fever reducing medication (by the way, always alternate Advil and Tylenol if you use those).

I would stay in my third floor bed with a tea pot and Netflix playing while I listened to the chants and conversations in the house below me. The emotional pain it caused was almost as bad as the physical.

My mother played a huge role in making me better. She came up not just once, but three times to check on me and help me. She needs a whole book dedicated to how she helped me during this time.

A Miracle

Recruitment happens about two weeks before school starts. The Sunday before class, I still could not swallow without wanting to sob. I got in bed early, took Melatonin to knock me out faster and dreaded the next day.

I woke up the next morning with a clear throat, no fever and no exhaustion.

I don’t know how it happened, but I felt like a normal person again! I could swallow again, which made me tear up a lot. I could eat anything with pleasure and keep it in my stomach.

Now I still took medication for the occasional fever, but overall, I had no aches, no pains and no problems.


Since I started feeling better, I have mostly focused on school. Over-exerting myself could cause my more aggressive symptoms to relapse (to which I say HELL, NO!), so partying is out for a few weeks. Sleep has become a huge priority, to the point where I’m making myself wake up at the same time every day so I always know when to go to sleep.

Now, I know not everyone has the same mono experience. In fact, I almost consider myself lucky after hearing how some people had aggressive symptoms for months

Have you ever had mono? What are some of your experiences with mono? Do  you have any tips for the ‘uninitiated?’ (teehee: sorority joke)


2 thoughts on “My Life with Mono

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s